Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It's Confession Time...


You've Got Mail

I have a confession to make...You've Got Mail is on my list of guilty pleasure movies. For me its always been a movie of comfort. On a rainy Sunday afternoon, I'd curl up in bed, with a nice cup of hot tea and transport myself back to NYC in the fall. I know... its not an Oscar contender, or a cinematic masterpiece but to me its nice and sweet.


It seems now a days that everyone is meeting online, from Match.com, myspace, yahoo personals, the list goes on and on. Thus I believe You've Got Mail isn't so dated. Nora Ephron, the director also touches upon some present day issues: Corporate world (How corporate companies come in and buy the smaller business out) money, technology(Our dependecy upon it, relationship to it),trends, business, etc.


But Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) & Joe' Fox's (Tom Hanks) commuincation in the movie might seem a bit old school since it's set during a time of pre wireless, ethernet, cable, broadband, Internet explorer, AIM, yahoo messanger. Its a world of AOL and yes dare I say it - dial up. 

Cliff notes of You've Got Mail


Comments:
Dave Chappelle is in You've Got Mail????? I'm so watching this movie again.
 
I really like this movie too! I really appreciated that the film engaged a few issues (as you mentioned) outside of romance, especially the David-and-Goliath fight of the big corporate bookseller versus the small mom-and-pop bookstore. The conflict of the film could have been cute and without statement, like, say, evenly matched competitors in the book biz, but Ephron chose something a bit stickier, a bit more relevant. And I respect the decision not to make the situation easily resolvable--ultimately the characters get together because they can put work behind them, not because large corporations have stopped pooping on the little guy. Bold move.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]