Saturday, April 22, 2006

Elizabeth...what? Part II

So what's with all the music?

In case you don't know Crowe has a tendency to incorporate songs into his movies. They are not just lyrics or melodies they are dialogue, characters to him. All of this comes from Crowe's deep rooted relationship and love for music. (He was a journalist for Rolling Stone, now how many people can say they've had that gig. Check out his other movie Almost Famous for a semi autobiographical-esque view of the Rock world in the 70's. ) But sometimes the music can get in the way, be a distraction. There were moments when I felt cheated in Elizabethtown because Crowe played music instead of letting me hear the dialogue (Ie: Amazing phone conversation scene between Drew & Claire. When Drew is driving back with his Dad and he's telling him everything that has happened). I almost felt like I was watching MTV or some music video. It wasn't Crowe's best use of balance but there were some great songs. Elton John's "Father's Gun," Ulrich Schnauss "Passing By," Helen Stellar "iO (This Time Around), Patty Griffin "Long Ride Home". Check out the 3 soundtracks at iTunes.

So is it a drama or a comedy?
It's a bit of both. Crowe blurs comedy, drama, romance all together. There were definite moments where I laughed out loud, like when Drew is trying to kill himself and his cell phone keeps ringing ("I could turn a grey sky blue" - line from The Temptations' song "I Can't Get Next to You" his ring tone) or when he's telling his sister (played by the fabulous and underrated Judy Greer) "I'll call you right back." And she says, "Okay no problem. Just dial Hell and I'll answer." For Crowe, less and the subtle things is more...and funnier I must say.

Romantic Conventions: Does he or doesn't he?
Crowe is still using them but he's adapting and altering them.

In Elizabethtown, Crowe is showing the love between two young people as well as with family, home and America.

My blurb of thoughts

Kirsten Dunst: She surprised me in this film. Normally I find her annoying throughout the entire film. But here, here she only got on my nerves when she kept bothering Drew on the plane (which thankfully was not that long). On another note I would have preferred her to stick to one accent. Either you're Southern or you're not.

Judy Greer! Crowe, one of the reasons I enjoy your films is because of your ability to pick a well rounded supporting cast. Bonnie Hunt, Cuba Gooding Jr. Regina King, even that little kid, Jeremy Piven (pre Entourage), Joan Cusak, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Zooey Deschanel, Cameron Diaz, Jason Lee, Paul Schneider, and Judy Greer. She tends to shine in whatever role she is casted in. Whether it's the back stabbing "friend" in 13 Going 30 (Yes, I saw it.) or the cute supportive friend in The Wedding Planner (Yes, I saw that too.) or as the sister in The Village, and dare I even mention her hilarious sketch on Arrested Development as George Bluth's secretary, who is secretly in love with him. I would have liked to seen how she was dealing with her mother's changes or her interaction with all the relatives.

Ruckus: They completely kicked ass in their cover of Lynard Skynard's "Freebird." Nothing was going to stop their long awaited moment to shine. Not even a paper mache bird on fire and sprinklers. I must of watched that scene over and over. Not just for the comedy but to see cousin Jesse and the rest of the band rock hard ike it was Woodstock and not a memorial.

Road trip scenes: The cinematography when Drew is driving home from Kentucky are beautiful. Utilizing POV's, long and wide shots Crowe made me feel like I was the one driving the car, looking out on the open road, experiencing and seeing the necessary moments in American history - living life. If nothing else, Crowe succeeds in this part of the film.

Moments where I would have ended the movie: 
  1. Second time Claire and Drew say goodbye. After talking on the phone for like 10 hours and meeting again, each are now in their own car ready to drive off in two separate directions. I wouldn't have minded it if Crowe had made this last scene between Drew and Claire, thus making the focus of the movie be about Drew and his family.
  2. Driving back home to Oregon with his father's urn in the passenger seat, Drew finally starts to grieve. Crying while "Father's Gun" by Elton John plays he starts laughing, talking and remembering memories. Holding a handful of his father's ashes he sticks his hand out the window letting his father become one with the wind and the world. "Father's Gun" would continue playing and then a fade out.

Crowe had good intentions with Elizabethtown I just think he had too much. It took two viewings for me to really appreciate and understand its entirety. He had two story lines, 1. Guy's relationship with his family, father, life and himself. 2. Two complete strangers meeting and connecting. Crowe wanted both to be part of the movie. The problem was that it didn't intertwine very neatly or nicely at all. Overall, though I feel Crowe explored a lot of broad important ideas in Elizabethtown: life, love, happiness, death, family etc. And he did it all with humor, realism and sweet tunes.

I don't know about you but I think there's some success in that.


Comments:
Okay, so I think you may have already guessed at my absolute love for all things Cameron Crowe. That being said I don't think this was his best movie, and maybe because it relied a lot on Orlando Bloom playing this part with equal amounts of empathy and sympathy--I just don't think he has the acting chops to do it (yet anyway). On a personal note I also find K. Dunst one of the most annoying actresses around, and was very diasappointed to see her in this part. I like your comments on how it turns romantic comedy conventions, many of which I agree with. I think the female lead is given more of a proactive role, and it is definitely her that changes him which is refreshing. Finally, this movie is totally worth seeing for cousing Jesse and Ruckus...and the amazing MMJ. Long Live Cameron Crowe!
 
one other thought--i wonder if thinking about men and women directing romantic comedies leads to the question what is the male fantasy of romance versus the female one? i ask this because i think romantic comedies are typically about fantasy worlds where things work out in a way unimaginable in real life. but, is that played out differently for men and women?
 
leak http://cciworldwide.org/members/Popcorn-Machines.aspx http://cciworldwide.org/members/Garage-Door-Openers.aspx http://cciworldwide.org/members/Area-Rugs.aspx http://cciworldwide.org/members/Omeprazole.aspx http://cciworldwide.org/members/Vacuum-Cleaners.aspx http://cciworldwide.org/members/Annuity-Calculator.aspx http://cciworldwide.org/members/Bariatric-Surgery.aspx
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]